This is my second attempt at these cookies. My first lot were too big and the strawberry dough was too soft, as I added too much jam to the mix. Now I've fine-tuned my technique I can share it with you! It's another recipe from Elinor Klivans' Slice & Bake Cookies.

Makes 40
225g butter, softened
1 c sugar
2 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 c flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
55g dark chocolate, melted
1 tbsp cocoa
3 tbsp strawberry jam or 1tsp strawberry essence and few drops red food colouring
4 tsp strawberry jam

Line a loaf tin with cling film ensuring it hangs over the sides.

In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar. Mix in egg yolks and vanilla. Sift in flour, baking powder and salt and mix until combined and a dough is formed. Divide dough into 3 equal parts (about 1 c each) and put 2 parts in 2 separate bowls.

In the large bowl add the melted chocolate and cocoa powder and mix until fully combined.

In one of the other bowls add the strawberry jam or essence and food colouring and mix until combined. Make sure the mixture is not too soft or else it will not firm up properly. Add more flour if it becomes too soft.

Press the chocolate dough into the bottom of the loaf tin. Smooth out with the back of a wet spoon. Spread 2 tsp strawberry jam over the chocolate dough then press the strawberry dough evenly on top, using a wet spoon if needed. Spread 2 tsp strawberry jam over the strawberry dough then press the vanilla dough evenly on top. Wrap in cling film and freeze for an hour or so until firm.

Take out of the freezer and cut lengthways to make 2 oblongs. I also trimmed the sides to make cleaner edges as my loaf tin tapered a bit. You can also use 2 mini loaf tins if you have them so you don't have to cut a large loaf lengthways. Wrap each oblong in cling film if you want to return to the freezer.

When ready to bake preheat oven to 180C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.

Cut each oblong into 20 pieces about 6mm thick. Place at least 4cm apart on the baking trays. Bake for 14 min, rotating the trays halfway through, until the edges begin to brown.

Let cool on the trays for a few minutes then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.